Education outside of the EU/EEA

The National Board of Health and Welfare assesses the competence of each individual physician and nurse, and decides on the terms for him/her to obtain a Swedish license.

If you were educated outside the EU/EEA, and then were awarded a license in an EU/EEA country and practiced under that license for at least three years, apply as if your education were in an EU/EEA country.


To apply for physician or nurse vacancies with us, you must hold a Swedish professional license to practice, have good knowledge of the Swedish language, and be well acquainted with current health care legislation. If your license is from outside the EU/EEA you will also need a working permit.


When you have your certificate of language skills in Swedish, the National Board of Health and Welfare make decision of your next step in the process of obtaining your license. This next step may vary depending on your educational background and time for application at the National Board of Health and Welfare.
However, in most cases you are required to undergo clinical training within our healthcare system. Our ambition is to facilitate this by referring you to a training place within our organization.